Cancer Council SA provides free smoking cessation training across Australia for those who work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The Quitskills program Tackling Indigenous Smoking Brief Intervention is a three-day nationally recognised training on smoking cessation.
The aim of this training is to:
- increase your skills, knowledge and confidence so that you can assess and discuss smoking behaviour with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- successfully support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to reduce or quit smoking
Overview of the training
- Tobacco in Australia
- Social determinants of health
- Legislation and regulation
- Health consequences
- Understanding smoking
- Cessation methods and products
- Working with clients
- Quitline and other services
- Population health
- Legal and organisational policies and procedures
Following successful completion of the course, a Statement of Attainment will be issued for the following competencies by the Aboriginal Health Council of South Australia [RTO 40142]:
- Assess readiness for and effect behaviour change [HLTPOP014]
- Provide information on smoking and smoking cessation [HLTPOP015]
- Provide interventions to nicotine dependent clients [HLTPOP016]
Download - Quitskills Intervention Training flyer
If you would like further information about Quitskills or are interested in hosting group training, please contact us on 08 8291 4146 or email@example.com.