11 September 2019
Cancer Council is calling on Australians to gather their family, friends and loved ones to celebrate National Patio Day on the first Saturday of summer and raise vital funds to support Australians impacted by cancer.
A new national campaign, proudly supported by Stratco, National Patio Day is held across the country on Saturday, 7 December.
It’s a chance for Australians to celebrate the start of summer in style while also raising vital funds to support Cancer Council’s research, prevention, advocacy and support programs that save lives.
With two in three Australians diagnosed with skin cancer by the age of 70, it’s also an opportunity to highlight the vital role sun protection plays in reducing skin cancer risk.
“We know that over exposure to UV is responsible for 99 per cent of all non-melanoma and 95 per cent of melanoma skin cancers,” said Cancer Council SA Chief Executive Lincoln Size.
“It’s vital to protect your skin whenever the UV is 3 and above, with seeking shade one of the five important ways you can protect your skin.”
“Summer is the perfect time to entertain family and friends, but it’s also the time when UV can be at its most damaging.”
“By hosting an event on National Patio Day, you are not only supporting Australians impacted by cancer, but you are educating your family and friends on the important role sun protection plays in preventing skin cancer,” he said.
CEO of Stratco Ben Miels said that the organisation is proud to be supporting such a worthy cause.
“Gathering under your patio with family and friends is an essential part of summer and we are thrilled to be able to join with Cancer Council to launch this new campaign, which celebrates an iconic day in the Australian calendar while also educating Australians on how to cut their skin cancer risk,” he said.
In its inaugural year, National Patio Day hopes to recruit 2,000 hosts and raise critical funds to help all Australians impacted by cancer.
Not only will funds raised support those impacted by cancer, every $50 you raise puts you in the draw to win either a Hafele Alfresco Kitchen, valued at $5,000 or a $500 Stratco gift card to deck out your outdoor living. (one voucher per state).
For more information or to register, visit nationalpatioday.com.au or call 1300 65 65 85 to receive your free patio day host kit.
NOTES TO EDITOR:
- Skin cancer accounts for the largest number of cancers diagnosed in Australia each year.
- Melanoma is the most common cancer in Australians aged 12 – 24
- UV is responsible for 99 per cent of all non-melanoma and 95 per cent of melanoma skin cancers.
- Cancer Council research shows that even though almost 90 per cent of Australian adults don’t attempt a suntan over summer, over 60 per cent still report having suntanned skin over summer, indicating a need for improved sun protection practices.
- At least two in three people are diagnosed with skin cancer before age 70
- Cancer Council recommends sun protection whenever the UV is 3 and above.
- Cancer Council recommends sun protection whenever the UV is 3 and above. .
- To minimise skin damage, you should protect your skin in five ways when UV is 3 and above:
- Slip on some sun protective clothing
- Slop on SPF 30, or higher, broad spectrum sunscreen
- Slap on a shady hat that protects the head, face, ears and neck
- Seek shade whenever possible
- Slide on some wraparound sunglasses
About Cancer Council
Cancer Council is Australia’s leading cancer charity working across every aspect of every cancer. Every day, we support families affected by cancer when they need it most, speak out on behalf of the community on cancer issues, empower people to reduce their cancer risk, and find new ways to better detect and treat cancer. With your help, we’re getting closer to a cancer free future every minute, every hour, every day.
Stratco is Australia’s leading Patio manufacturer with brands including the iconic Stratco Outback and the architecturally-inspired Stratco Pavilion range. As a wholly Australian-owned and independent home improvement specialist, Stratco believes in creating fully-engineered, custom outdoor Patio structures that create the perfect contemporary space to entertain, connect and create memories with loved ones. Throughout a network of Stratco stores across Australia, our team of design specialists are ready to make your outdoor lifestyle dreams a reality with a bit of Stratco HowTo.