What is Relay For Life?
Relay For Life is a Cancer Council community fundraising challenge (which began in the USA in 1985!) and raises vital funds for Cancer Council’s prevention, research, information and support services.
Relay is a chance for our local community to recognise and celebrate cancer survivorship, remember loved ones lost, and empower teams of families, friends, colleagues and schools to step out onto the track and raise money to fight back against cancer.
Everyone has a reason to Relay, so who will you Relay for?
How Relay For Life works
Organised by passionate, local volunteers, each Relay event is an unforgettable experience that will stay with you forever. We’ll create memorable moments throughout the day and night celebrating Survivors and their Carers, as well as a time to honour those we’ve lost through a moving Candlelight Ceremony.
Teams of friends, families, colleagues and schools are encouraged to put together a team of 8+ members and fundraise in the lead up to the event.
No matter your age or ability, everyone is welcome to step out against cancer by walking, jogging, rolling, running, wheeling or even dancing—it’s your Relay For Life!
How can you get involved?
By stepping up and joining Relay For Life, you’ll make powerful strides against cancer by helping to fund Cancer Council’s life-saving cancer research, prevention and support programs.
- Register as a team captain and recruit team members
- Join a team and help support your teams fundraising
- Volunteer at a Relay For Life event
- Register as a survivor or carer and participate in our survivor and carer’s lap of honour
- Sponsor an event through monetary donations or in-kind donations or services
- Host a Mini Relay For Life or Dress Purple Day and get your whole school involved
Register below for your local event—will you join the movement this year?
Adelaide: 6 -7 May 2023
Riverland: 21-22 October 2023
Belair: 28 – 29 October 2023
Adelaide Hills: 4 – 5 November 2023
Gawler: 16 – 17 March 2024
Register a teamFollow the event on Facebook
Join the Relay For Life movement for a powerful community experience including:
- An opening ceremony with a special lap of honour for Survivors and Carers who are the heart of Relay For Life.
- Relay teams walk the track, passing batons with someone on track, at all times, day and night.
- Food and entertainment from local performers, market stalls, competitions and games for the whole family.
- An emotive candlelight ceremony honouring those lost, celebrating those who have survived, and encouraging those going through cancer right now.
- Inspiring speakers giving us hope for a cancer free future by sharing key achievements in Cancer Council’s lifesaving work.
- A closing ceremony celebrating our incredible achievements and inspiring us to continue to support Cancer Council’s vision of a cancer free future.