Cancer Connect Peer Support Volunteer
Multiple positions available
‘The Cancer Connect Program connects people going through treatment with those who have come out the other side. It’s unique and I think that the ability for people to speak to someone who have been there provides a sense of reassurance.’
We recognise that cancer can be overwhelming, but sometimes talking to someone who has been through a similar experience can be both reassuring and encouraging.
Cancer Connect is a telephone peer support program for people experiencing a cancer diagnosis, survivors, carers and family for people carrying a gene that increases their cancer risk.
As a Cancer Connect Peer Support Volunteer you will:
- Draw on the challenges you faced during your own cancer experience to help people wo may be going through similar experiences now.
- Listen with empathy, provide non-judgmental support, practical information an reassurance via one-to-one telephone connections.
You will be required to complete two-days of Cancer Connect Peer Support Volunteer training.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills and an ability to communicate respectfully with people from varied backgrounds.
- To have recovered physically and emotionally from your own cancer experience and have a good perspective to the impact this had on your life.
- To be between 12 months and 10 years post treatment (or eligible cancer types requiring long term treatment), or be a family member or carer who supported a loved one through diagnosis.
Location and time required:
- This position is a telephone-based service operated from home.
- The role is required on an as needs basis; hours are based on referral numbers and availability by agreement within reasonable limits.
- The successful volunteer will be a non-smoker.
- As a part of our recruitment process you may be required to undertake a medical assessment, validate any relevant vaccinations and criminal history checks and/or complete any practical assessment deemed appropriate to the role.
For more information, contact Jen Rose on 08 8291 4152 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or click on the button below to apply.