Cancer Information Centre Volunteer – Lyell McEwin Hospital
Multiple positions available
We recognise that cancer can be overwhelming but finding the right information and support can make a world of difference.
Cancer Council SA partners with the Lyell McEwin Hospital to provide a Cancer Information Centre that connects visitors to relevant information, resources, and services through the support of our caring volunteers.
We are seeking compassionate individuals to join our team at the Cancer Information Centre where you will:
- Visit patients in the waiting rooms and chemotherapy suites and provide a listening ear to support patients within the scope of the volunteer role.
- Approach and greet visitors to the Cancer Information Centre and maintain a comfortable and welcoming environment.
- Provide practical information about Cancer Council SA, CanTeen and Leukaemia Foundation including guidance to evidence-based resources and services.
- Demonstrate empathy and understanding of people facing a major and distressing illness.
You will be provided with full training to ensure you understand the information and services available.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills and an ability to communicate respectfully with people from varied backgrounds.
- Be comfortable working independently with indirect supervision within a medical environment and spending time with people who may be receiving active treatment.
- Empathy, compassion, and an understanding of people facing a major and distressing illness.
Location and time required:
- This position will be situated in the Northern Cancer Centre within the Lyell McEwin Hospital, Elizabeth Vale.
- Regular weekly or fortnightly shifts are available across a range of days and times – Monday to Friday only.
- The successful volunteer will be a non-smoker.
- As a part of our recruitment process you may be required to undertake a medical assessment, validate any relevant vaccinations and criminal history checks and/or complete any practical assessment deemed appropriate to the role.
- This volunteer role reports both to Cancer Council SA and the Lyell McEwin Hospital Volunteer Services.
For more information, contact Kylie Gepp on 08 8291 4124 or email email@example.com.
Click on the button below to apply.
We regularly require assistance from volunteers at events and fundraising campaigns.
Keep an eye on this page for new opportunities or alternatively, contact firstname.lastname@example.org